Loondaddy's House of Movies

This is my attempt to review a few movies! Any comment, statement or question is welcomed.

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

DOOM


***Attention***
I am still working on what kind of a format I will use so just bear with me while I figure that out.
There are SPOILERS - but it's ok, read on...

Notable Cast:
The Rock, Karl Urban, Rosamund Pike

Rating:
R for strong violence/gore and language

Plot:
Something has gone wrong at a remote scientific research station on Mars. All research has ceased. Communication has failed. And the messages that do get through are less than comforting. It's a level 5 quarantine and the only souls allowed in or out are the Rapid Response Tactical Squad - hardened Marines armed to the teeth with enough firepower to neutralize the enemy...Or so they think.

My Thoughts:
Lets get this out of the way first, I have not played the game. Well I'll take that back, when it first came out a friend had it and I tried it out and didn't really like it.
Now to the Movie. You have to understand I soley watch movies for entertainment. I do not watch movies to have some life altering experience, or for any true experience, whatever that may be. DOOM for me was entertaining. It kept my attention, which at times can be hard. I miss true action movies. And this was as close as we are going to get to a good action flick now a days. The days of the Rambo's, Rocky's, Die Hard's and Lethal Weapon's are gone. I enjoyed the characters. I thought The Rock was really good and that this is his type of movie. Full of action with a little wit. The twist of Sarge (The Rock) turning was freaking awesome. Remember I have no clue about the video game. The final fight scene between Sarge and Grimm was great. Nothing like seeing to "super" men go at it.

My 5 Star Rating:
***

Go out and rent it, enjoy it for what it is - An Action Film. I will find time and money to purchase this one, The Rock is one of a few action stars out there and I like him.

Things To Ponder:
1. The video game Doom is controversial for its violence; the Columbine shooters were reportedly fans of it. Even if it's pretend creature violence, is it inherently wrong to enjoy the game? Do you believe it to be a cause or a symptom of violence in the world today?

2. Though the film's creatures are genetic mutations, one of the marines considers them demons. Do you believe in the existence of demons? If so, are there literally demonic creatures, or are they manifested in the world in some other way?

3. Consider the scene where Sam injects her brother with the mysterious chemical (The 24th Chromosome). How is her action an example of faith in her brother's inherent goodness? Does this jibe with what we believe as Christians concerning original sin and free will?

|